Saturday, June 5, 2010

Drawing closer in Troubled Times

It has been months since I posted in large part due to my broken wrist which greatly impaired my ability to type. But also, because my family has been going through some serious events, trials, and pain.

My daughter had spinal-cord surgery in March. This was quite an ordeal for her to go through and then recover from. The pain from any surgery is hard, but spinal cord surgery is especially hard. I am a tender-hearted Mom that experiences all the trials and hardships my children endure right along with them. The story of how we found a qualified surgeon was our family's miracle. Our daughter had searched for a neurosurgeon for severals months without success, all the while enduring intense back and neck pain with numbness in her legs. Month after month appointments were made and re-scheduled, and then when she did get to see a doctor, she was referred to another physician. As my husband and I walked this road with her, we realized that we would have to start looking outside our immediate area for help. Then SUDDENLY God answered our prayers thru a business acquaintance of my husband. God does seem to perform his SUDDENLY miracles just in the nick of time. My husband had a meeting with this gentlemen, a concerned businessman friend, who asked about our daughter. When he heard how long we had been searching for a doctor to treat her, he pulled up his mobile phone and dialed a number. He told my husband that he had a friend from church who "just happened" to be a neurosurgeon. Once he had this doctor on the phone he handed my husband the phone. "Hello"..."Yes we are in a crisis situation"..."Yes, I will have her at your office in the AM. Thank you! Upon examining our daughter, he was quick to see how easily she could be permanently disabled if surgery didn't happen ASAP. Within a few days of the consultation with him, our daughter was on the operating table! Praise God!

Shortly after returning home from the hospital with daughter #1, we are told that daughter #2 and her husband are divorcing after only 2 years of marriage. They have 1child who is 18 months old. Granted their marriage was not ideal, but this was still a shock. We prayed for them and grandbaby, and have been here to help, but it wasn't enough. The reality is that even though we pray and love them, we cannot make them make good choices and work at staying together. A house divided cannot stand.

I was thinking on the way home from work about how I wish I could keep my heart calm when my children are going through hard times or making bad decisions. I am pretty good at faking it on the outside, but inside my heart breaks. I have trouble focusing on the simplest of tasks and find that my calm spirit gives way to tears and sometimes even anger at such a loss. You see, I have been through a divorce nearly 16 years ago, and it carries with it tremendous heartbreak and dysfunction. It takes years to get over the demise of a marriage and divorce leaves some heavy baggage that you can drag around for a lifetime unless you fight against it.

There is more drama going on as well, but I prefer to keep those things more private for the sake of those involved. Our family has been through a lot of tough times in years past, but we always come through every trial stronger. My mother once told me that whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I sure hope she is right! I should be 10 feet tall and bullet proof by now! :-)

Our family is as close as it has ever been. We are pulling together and helping each other get through the ups and downs of life looking forward to the peace that passes all understanding that only God can provide.

No comments: