Monday, November 24, 2008

Gratitude Brings Peace

As the week of Thanksgiving begins, I made a conscious decision this morning to think about what I am truly thankful for. I have been suffering through some "blues" lately and an attitude of gratitude is the best and possibly only anecdote. It is my sad confession that I haven't been thinking about what I do have, but what I don't have (cup full vs. cup empty) and that level of thinking will always take you into the pit! So, my dear Lord, please forgive me for allowing my emotions to get the better of me.
Here is my Top 5 of things to be thankful for:

1 - Thank you God for your son Jesus and for not judging me based only on my actions, but on my heart.

2 - For my husband, who helped me raise my 2 children, from a previous marriage, which was no easy task. They were 11 and 12 years of age at the time of our marriage and put him through the ringer. He is a man of real courage! Because of his perseverance, we are a close family today. He never gave up on being a family. He earned their trust by showing them a great deal of love and concern for not only me, but for them.

3 - I am thankful for my children who all adults now. They are each very different in personality and bring different perspectives about life. I cherish each of them. They have taught me so much about what real love is and helped me to grow up into a mother they could be proud of, or so they say. They make life so much richer just by knowing them and watching them grow to be the adults God made them to be. I am the person I am today because of their unconditional love.

4 - My parents - I am blessed to have praying parents. My Mom told me about the love of God and about the Bible. They taught me right from wrong; showed me how to love others and reach out to those who need help; and most of all Mom and Dad showed me what commitment is. They have been married for 52 years!

5 - Friends and Relatives - Their friendships enrich my life and make me want to be a better person. I also am so thankful that when I was a child, my parents had friends that were good role models. I never saw or experienced physical abuse or parents with addictions. I had a good start in life. Thank you Mom and Daddy. I also must include my Aunt Betty. She got a hold of me when I was 16 years old and through her acts of kindness and love I am a true lover of God. That is a story for another day.

I challenge you to make a Top 5 list of your own. It will change your attitude like it did mine. Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

No comments: